Putin marks anniversary of annexation of Ukrainian regions as drones attack overnight

[ad_1]

Russian President Vladimir Putin gives a televised address to mark the one-year anniversary of the declared annexation of the Russian-controlled territories of four Ukraine’s Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions, in Moscow, Russia, in this picture released September 30, 2023. 
Photo: Sputnik via Reuters

Russian President Vladimir Putin gives a televised address to mark the one-year anniversary of the declared annexation of the Russian-controlled territories of four Ukraine’s Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia regions, in Moscow, Russia, in this picture released September 30, 2023.
Photo: Sputnik via Reuters

Russian President Vladimir Putin on September 30 insisted that the residents of four Ukrainian regions that Moscow illegally annexed a year ago “made their choice — to be with their Fatherland.”

In an address released in the early hours to mark the first anniversary of the annexation, Mr. Putin insisted that it was carried out “in full accordance with international norms.” He also claimed that residents of the Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions had again expressed their desire to be part of Russia in local elections earlier this month, in which Russia’s Central Election Commission said that the country’s ruling party won the most votes.

The West has denounced both the referendum votes carried out last year and the recent ballots as a sham. The votes were held as Russian authorities attempted to tighten their grip on territories Moscow illegally annexed a year ago and still does not fully control.

A concert was held in Red Square on September 29 to mark the anniversary, but Mr. Putin did not participate.

People attend a rally to mark the one-year anniversary of Russia’s annexation of four regions in Ukraine, in Red Square in Moscow, Russia, on September 29, 2023.

People attend a rally to mark the one-year anniversary of Russia’s annexation of four regions in Ukraine, in Red Square in Moscow, Russia, on September 29, 2023.
| Photo Credit:
Reuters

The address came after Russia’s Defense Ministry said September 29 it would enlist 130,000 men for compulsory military service this fall, beginning Oct. 1 in most regions of the country. It announced it would for the first time begin enlisting residents of the annexed territories as part of its twice-yearly military conscription campaign.

Russia says conscripts are not deployed to what it calls its “special military operation” in Ukraine, or to serve in the annexed territories. However, after their service, conscripts automatically become reservists, and Russia has previously deployed reservists to Ukraine.

Meanwhile, in Ukraine, the governor of Ukraine’s partly occupied southern Zaporizhzhia region, Yurii Malashko, said five people were wounded on September 30 in two missile strikes on the village of Matviivka, located on the northeastern outskirts of the regional capital, also called Zaporizhzhia.

Air defenses shot down 30 out of 40 Iranian-made kamikaze drones aimed at the Odesa, Mykolaiv and Vinnytsia provinces overnight, the Ukrainian air force said September 30.

Also Read: Explained | Is Ukraine’s counteroffensive working?

Vinnytsia regional Gov. Serhii Borzov said that air defenses shot down 20 drones over his central Ukrainian region, but that a “powerful fire” broke out in the town of Kalynivka when a drone struck an unspecified infrastructure facility.

Romania’s Ministry of National Defense said on September 30 that a possible unauthorized entry into its national airspace occurred overnight amid the bombardment.

It said the radar surveillance system of the Romanian Army detected “a possible unauthorized entry” into the national airspace of NATO member Romania, with a signal detected toward the city of Galati, which is close to the border with Ukraine.

“At this moment, no objects have been identified that fell from the airspace onto the national territory,” the statement read, adding that NATO allies were informed in real time and that searches will continue through September 30.

Also Read: Russia to hike defence spending by almost 70% in 2024: Ministry

Emergency authorities issued text message alerts overnight to residents living in the counties of Galati and Tulcea, after detecting what the Defense Ministry said was “groups of drones heading toward Ukrainian territory” near the border.

In recent weeks, Romania has found drone fragments on its soil from the war next door at least three times as Russian forces carry out sustained attacks on Ukraine’s Danube ports.

Russia’s Defense Ministry said September 30 that it had shot down nine Ukrainian rockets fired at its southern Belgorod region, which borders Ukraine. Belgorod Gov. Vyacheslav Gladkov said that an artillery shell created a crater and shrapnel damaged a house, a store and a gas pipeline in an attack on the regional capital, also called Belgorod. Local officials in Russia’s Bryansk region, also bordering Ukraine, reported disruptions to the power supply following an unspecified attack on the town of Pogar. Drone strikes and shelling in the Russian border regions are a regular occurrence.

[ad_2]

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *